Friday, January 25, 2013

1800's dresser

There is this AWESOME place called Dells Architectural Antiques where we live (Eau Claire, WI). It has everything from vintage toilets, old windows, cabinets, hardware, to old fire places. If you are looking for it, chances are they have it. I think it is one of my all time favorite places to go. I could spend hours there searching for different things and wondering about all the history of everything. My mom has been down there a few more times then me, haggling with the owner to get a good deal. One day my mom and I went down there to ask if he had any "junky" furniture that he would sell. They took us down to another building that they own and we got to go through it!!! We were like kids in a candy store!!! We found 4 dressers that we feel in love with. One was a dresser that was from the 1800s (that is what the owner said,  pretty sure he knows his stuff).  When it was time to haggle the prices, the guy that was helping us got the owner (because he makes all the final decisions on the price of everything, you always get "Have to ask Jeff." Just an FYI if you go down there.) So Jeff came and saw that it was my mom and laughed...that is how many times she has been down there trying to get a good deal...lol.
 
So this is the dresser, of course I do not have before picture...but when you see the top, how aged it is, it really did need some help. Trust me, we would just paint a beautiful dresser that old!!! So this how it turned out...



 
We left the top and first drawer wood. The top looks so industrial with all the history of the dents and use of it. I personally love that!
 
 
We were inspired by the knobs we found
for the idea of this dresser.


 
We wanted to "modernize it" a little so we thought the teal color would do that. We distressed it a little. I love the old key holes on it, I think it adds more character.


This is the website for Dells...to give you an idea of what they have...dellsarchitecturalantiques.com

No comments:

Post a Comment